Enabling innovation and entrepreneurship in rural and remote communities.
- We now live in a globalised economy which has changed the way we do business
- Technology & the internet are creating unprecedented change and disrupting traditional industry – everywhere (including the Tablelands)
- This is creating record high youth unemployment
- Compounded by dying and localised industries
What is Startup and what is a Startup Weekend?
The Startup “movement”:
- Began in Silicon Valley and has spread worldwide as a set of new business precepts for the 21st century such that business can rise to the challenges of the disruptions and changes especially evident since the turn of the Millennium.
- The details of those business precepts and their application is largely what ST proposes to teach, with a minimum of theory and a large dose of practical application as well as mentoring and continuing support mechanisms (egg mastermind or self-coaching groups).
- are weekend-long, low cost, high intensity experiences where aspiring entrepreneurs are exposed to startup methodology in a hands-on process.
- For further info: http://startupweekend.org/about/
Startup Tablelands Primary Objectives:
- Long term: start to build a Tablelands entrepreneurial ecosystem that is eventually sustainable and has the ability to substantially contribute to the Tablelands economy.
- Create a new base for job creation, employment, commercialisation and investment across the Tablelands.
- Build capacity for running events, mentoring, and coaching as well as for lean startup methodology and the commercialisation of innovation/inventions.
- Partner strongly within MSC and TRC.
- Partner broadly across the region as resources allow, even nationally to the degree of our capacity.
- Specific goals for 2016:
- Be the Australian host for the global Future Agro Challenge (FAC)
- Run many and varied lead-in programs/workshops/events in both MSC and TRC before November.
- Schedule several presentations to inform the public and institutions about ST and about Startup and Innovation in general. Run a supportive and coordinated follow-up program after SWT#2 for the remainder of 2016.
- Complete training for 2-8 Startup Champions from the ST Driver Team and, hopefully, from the incipient startup and better developed innovation/inventor community locally. Training to be delivered by TheSPACE Cairns founder Troy Haines: Building Entrepreneurial Ecosystems for Regional Australia.
- Increase ST Driver and wider team capacity in collaboration as well as in all startup and innovation methodologies.
Contact Startup Tablelands;
Christine Doan: 0419 656 247 or Jessica Fealy: 0408 904 299